Custom Navbar

Tuesday 13 January 2015

Golden Globes 2015: Best and Worst Dressed

Hey guys! Welcome to the first fashion blog post of award season: the best and worst dressed of the Golden Globes. So lets start with out best dressed.
Best Dressed

Emma Stone
Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP
I've decided to pick Emma Stone as my best dressed of the night. I have a feeling that Jennifer Lopez will be a strong contender for the best dressed on most other peoples lists and she is one of my best dressed, but I wasn't really wowed by the dress and my mind kept coming back to Emma Stone. J Lo had that initial wow moment but I figured it wasn't something I would ever think to wear and I didn't really feel that connected to it, do you know the way you can think back to an awards show a few years ago and remember the most amazing dress just like it was on last night. With J Lo out of the picture I had a few strong contenders but my gut feeling was to say Emma Stone. I love that she went for a jumpsuit, unlike anyone else I saw on that red carpet. There were many stunning dresses that were head to toe bling and I loved that Emma had a much more muted look that had a bit of sparkle to give it a bit of oomph. I wasn't sure what I thought about the big bow at first but now I've decided that it really dresses up the look, and at the Golden Globes the jumpsuit on its own might have been a bit too casual. Overall, I love it and love that she did something a bit different to the dozens of women in fitted sparkly gowns.

Kate Beckinsale
Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP
My next best dressed is Kate Beckinsale. This was extremely close to getting best dressed because I think she looks stunning. Everything about this look is perfect. I love the dress, I love the accessories, I love the up-style with it, and I think the makeup is beautiful. This is a bit more me than a lot of the other dresses. I could see myself wearing this dress. It's quite classy and has the lovely jeweled top without looking tacky by having lots of giant, horrible looking gems covering it which sometimes happens.

Chrissy Teigen
Jason Merritt/Getty Images
My next best dressed is Chrissy Teigan, who is the wife of John Legend. She is wearing Zuhair Murad. I love the sort of lace effect of this dress but I actually hadn't planned on putting her this high up the list until I saw the photos. This dress looks so amazing in the pictures in a way that I didn't notice in the video footage. The camera really captures all of the intricate details of the dress and it looks so pretty. Loving the hair and accessories too. 

Jennifer Lopez
Jason Merritt/Getty Images
Next we have Jennifer Lopez who I've already spoke about a bit. So I've explained why I didn't give her best dressed although I definitely think she will be no.1 on other people's lists. She is also wearing Zuhair Murhad. The cape really adds to the look and makes it more epic. It reminds me a bit of Lupita Nyong'o at the Golden Globes last year. I love capes and they definitely add to a dress' wow factor but since Lupita rocked a cape at this event last year and it was such a big fashion moment, I felt that it kind of took the edge out of J Lo's look this year. I really love her sparkly shoes and earrings. Also, I felt her sultry makeup really added to the look and that it mightn't have worked as well without it. 

Diane Kruger
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
Next is Diane Kruger wearing Emelia Wickstead and looking simply stunning. Just because fitted sparkly dresses were quite common on this red carpet doesn't meaning they weren't completely beautiful. I definitely had a wow moment when I first saw Diane in this dress. 

Jessica Chastain 
Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP
Jessica Chastain looks like a stunning siren in this Atelier Versace figure hugging dress. I absolutely love the hair. She is channeling old Hollywood glamour with this look. I find that dress didn't photograph that well and looked a lot more stunning in the live footage. 

Naomi Watts
John Shearer/ Invision/AP
I loved Naomi's canary yellow Gucci dress. The belt with the frosted buckle really just added the perfect touch, and to make sure she stood out, she added a diamond Bvlgari statement necklace in the shape of a serpent. Stunning! The only thing I would have changed was the clutch. I felt that the white or creamy colour of the bag slightly clashed with the rest of the look. 


Now let's move right on to the worst dressed. I only have four women chosen to be in my worst dressed this year, although I am sure they're were I few more that I didn't have time to add so I let them off the hook. Here are my worst dressed:

Worst Dressed

Claire Danes
Jason Merritt/ Getty Images
This Valentino dress just has way too much going on. I hate the amount of feathers on it. It would take like twenty birds to make this dress if they used real feathers. The only way I think this could have worked was if the skirt of the dress was paired with a really simple black top. However, as is, with the crazy feathery top, the plunging neckline and sheer material, it is all way to much and it looks a little bit like big bird threw up on her. Also, the earrings were a terrible addition to the look. Way too matchy matchy. 

Rosamund Pike
Jason Merritt/Getty Images

This was the first dress I saw this award season and I was very disappointed with it, especially because it's Vera Wang. The bottom of the dress in stunning but I absolutely hate the top. The fit is horrible, the little crisscross sting straps are horrible and it just gives her a horrible shape. I know that Rosamund has recently had a baby so it's supposed to be almost a version of a maternity dress but I just think it did nothing for her.

Keira Knightley 
Jason Merritt/Getty Images
Keira Knightley is the second person on this list with some sort of bird theme in this Channel dress. The strangest thing about this is that most of the people on the worst dressed list are wearing amazing designers. I sort of got where they were going with this dress but I just think they didn't pull it off. It makes Keira look frumpy, which I would have thought to be impossible, but this dress did it. Maybe if the bottom frills were removed, the waistband was lowered and the butterfly corsage didn't exist, it may have been salvageable, but it's a bit of a long shot.

 Lorde
Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP
The last person who made it on to our worst dressed list, and just barely made it on, is Lorde. She is wearing custom Narciso Rodriguez. I liked the idea of what she was trying to do, the suit with the crop top and the diamond necklace, but it just wasn't executed well. The trousers were way too long for her and it sort of seemed like a little girl dressing up in her dad's suit. I also didn't like the jacket or the trousers individually, but I think the look could have been amazing with a different jacket and trousers that fit a bit better. I loved the necklace but the hair ruined everything for me. You can't see it in the picture but it is a long, straight, low ponytail and I just didn't like it on her. I much prefer her curls. I think she was channeling a bit of Janice Ian from Mean Girls with this look and it just missed best dressed because of the execution. 

So that's it for the first big red carpet of award season. I hope you liked this post! Let me know which other award shows you are excited to see my best and worst dressed from, and I will make sure to do them. Also, leave a comment down below, telling me who was your best and worst dressed of the night.